Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Footprints on the sands of time

Just came across the video of one of my favorite songs ever: Mausam Beeta Jaye from Bimal Roy's Do Bigha Zameen. Pretty tough to get just the video of the song. This one's from AOL. I'd never buy the DVD of the movie for the simple reason that I cannot sit through the heart rending tale again. But what a movie it is, a few cliches notwithstanding. Besides, this was a turning point in Indian cinema, and much of what might seem cliched was new then!

These are my favorite lines:
Dharti kahe pukaar ke, beej bichcha le pyar ke
Mausam beeta jaye, mausam beeta jaye
Apni kahani chhod ja, kuch toh nishani chhod ja
Kaun kahe is or tu phir aaye na aaye
Mausam beeta jaye, mausam beeta jaye

Here's a tentative translation for those who might wonder what the fuss is about. (I'm no translator, let alone a poetic one, so please pardon the clumsiness).

The earth calls out to us to plant seeds of love

The seasons are changing all the time
Leave behind your story, make a mark in the world
Who knows whether you will come this way again

The seasons are changing all the time

The song was written by that genius of a poet, Shailendra, while the music came from the writer of the story, Salil Chaudhury. The voices are those of Manna Dey and Lata Mangeshkar.

Reminds me of lines from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem, A Psalm of Life:

Lives of great men all remind us

We can make our lives sublime
And departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time.

How's that for a little afternoon inspiration?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful poem. I've always been a fan of Longfellow. I also have those songs that never fail to inspire me. It's funny, music is such a huge influence on my mood, among other things. My all time favorite song? Walkin' on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves!

A Lost Writer said...

Thanks for stopping by, Angela. I'm going to look up the song you've mentioned. High time I broadened my horizons. :)
Incidentally, I stopped by your blog and I'd say we have plenty in common. As a working mom, not sticking to the plan is the ultimate sin because things go haywire if you don't. The plan includes stuff like laying out your clothes the night before and (boring, I know) planning a weekly menu.