Thursday, January 10, 2008

Old movies on new year's eve

On new year's eve, I was at a loose end. We weren't going to a party, nor did we want to. I was (and still am) on a TV boycott because somehow, if I ever watch a single show, it leads to a fight over my "TV addiction." So in the interests of peace in the house, I don't watch TV any more. Not even the news.

So anyway, here I was, working reduced hours that week and wanting to do something nice for my son that evening. His best friend's next door was having extending family over for a new year's eve party and I didn't want him feeling left out. So I walked over to Brigade Road and decided to check out what movies were available to buy.

I deserve some entertainment and if I can't have TV, then why not build up a collection of DVDs (or VCDs). So I picked up a couple of new movies at ridiculously cheap rates - not pirated, mind you, but originals. We ended up watching the Don remake, starring Shah Rukh Khan. My son loved it so that was money well spent.

I also hit paydirt with some classics that I'd been on the lookout for. Movies that I knew my Mum would enjoy as well. So in addition to the relatively new Jab We Met, I got evergreen hits like Naram Garam, Angoor, and Zanjeer. I will soon be adding Gol Maal (which we saw a couple of weeks back, having borrowed it from a friend) and other movies by Hrishikesh Mukherjee and Basu Chatterjee - two of the finest film-makers in India.

More on them later....

Don Poster
© Excel Entertainment Presentation

No comments: